Friday, July 17, 2009

Cherries + Amy + Amy

Who knew that chopping bing cherries could make your hands look like a crack addict's?


Or your kitchen look like a crime scene...

It's all good though! I'm mowing through a case of cherries fast (earlier post on why), and the splatters and stains just mean progress.

Plus, how cool is it that a tiny nugget of nature can pack so much color and sweet taste?   

Last night I went to my friend Amy's house and we made cherry salsa (with jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, green onion, and lemon juice)...


And then brandied cherries...


While the salsa was a slight pain in the ass (too much chopping of tiny fruit), I've got high hopes for the brandied cherries. The best part -- and perhaps one of my favorite things in all of life -- is the anticipation. You dunk the fruit into brandy and sugar but shouldn't touch it for about six weeks. 

Then...the opportunities! As aperitif, dropped into cocktails as garnish, with chocolate, over ice cream, etc!

Tonight, I'm pickling cherries. Tomorrow, cherry and basil gazpacho and mayyyybee cobbler??


No comments: