Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tomato Art Fest

Okay so maybe it's not quite La Tomitina, but Tomato Art Fest in East Nashville is my favorite little party in the city. Yep, I'm still a homer for my 'hood despite stolen lawn mowers and muggings.

Check out the work of Shelia B., a featured artist at the festival. Meanwhile, here's a poster from the old-fashioned letterpressers Hatch Show Print.

My friend Jaime won the Bloody Mary competition. She wouldn't divulge her recipe (and I totally don't blame her), but I suspect lime, cilantro and cucumber were involved?

She could have also won the cutest-thing-ever-in-an-apron-contest had there been one.

The 3 Crow Bar also served Bloody Mary's and clearly went all out on their sign.

Barman and guitar picker Jacob Jones made the 3 Crow version as follows:

Ice
About 1/2 a glass of vodka (no joke)
About 1/2 a glass of mix
Scoop of horseradish
Sprinkle of Tabasco
Dash of pepper

Not bad. And I don't really like Bloody Mary's.

Manning the booth.

In my personal celebration of the tomato, I made some bruschetta at home.

It’s a simple version, but here goes…
6 to 8 tomatoes, roughly chopped
about a tablespoon of olive oil
a couple healthy splashes of balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
a handful or so of chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients. Let stand or chill for an hour or so to marry flavors.

I served it over slices of Bohemian Three Seed bread from Twin Forks Farm in Primm Springs. The Sancerre went well with acidity of the tomatoes.

Dinner music: A couple of (many) fine East Nashville representatives...K.S. Rhoads and Jacob Jones.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Hey, I'd like to buy one of your Hatch Show Print Posters... can you contact me at missyanne81@gmail.
Thanks