Thursday, January 12, 2012

Couple of chickens

I recently made Crispy Oven-Fried Drumsticks from Southern Living for a story in The Tennessean about lighter comfort food.

They rocked way more than I expected them to.

As I wrote in the story, the drumsticks stay moist, and I love the hand-held shape for quintessential fried chicken chomp. And more than crunch of cornflakes, these have a buttermilk bath before going for a roll in Parmesan and cayenne for a touch of heat.

We photographed the chicken at my house and decided to shoot it on the pan. We wanted to show that they're baked while also keeping a "hot" surface with the aluminum foil.


(photo by Larry McCormack, The Tennessean)

I'll make them again.

This weekend, though, I'm headed to Memphis. So yes, I'll be having the full-fat, non-baked version at Gus's Fried Chicken, and I can't wait.

In the meantime, a really great song about chicken...



No comments: