Monday, November 9, 2009

Dinner music

When I arrived at the Southern Foodways Alliance symposium last weekend, I knew the discussions would focus on food and music. I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

At the intro dinner I made a new friend named Bob Roth who had traveled to Oxford from Chicago. We sat down to eat at City Grocery where Chef John Currence had made a meal inspired by his time on the road with a band -- gussied-up diner food of buttermilk cardamom biscuits with truffled duck sausage gravy; lamb meatloaf with roof-dried tomato ketchup, and more. (Wow.)

Over dinner our conversation turned to music in the natural sort of way that happens when people gather -- symposium or not. Bob suggested a song and wrote the title next to my plate.


So the official meeting had yet to commence, but food and music were already on the table.

Here's Todd Snider (the poet and "tipsy gypsy" from East Nashville) with Money, Compliments, Publicity.


No comments: