Monday, June 22, 2009

A Good Vampire is Hard to Find

Last night I made red beans and rice because….

A. It was Monday, and apparently that’s what happens in Cajun country. On a day that used to be reserved for laundry, red beans remain a put-it-on-and-let-it-simmer kind of thing.

B. I like to experiment with variations of beans and rice from different parts of the world. It’s interesting to see the influence a place makes on an inexpensive, one-pot meal, because that’s when people get creative with what's on hand. My favorite part of last night's version was making a good ole Cajun roux. Thirty minutes of constant stirring over a hot stove on a humid Nashville night? That’s a dinner well worth it.



C. And lastly, I made red beans and rice because I want to celebrate the new season of True Blood (second episode on Sunday night was caaarazzzzyyy, yeah?). I love Alan Ball – mostly for American Beauty and Six Feet Under (RIP). And while I admit True Blood can get a little cheesy and ridiculous at times I still say it’s got the best opening credits in all of TV. So Southern Gothic! 

Squeamish people might ought to wait 'til AFTER supper before watching, of course. (Meanwhile Flannery O’Conner and Carson McCullers roll over in graves and shout Amen.)

4 comments:

Cory Holder said...

I love True Blood! I think maybe my next dog's name is going to be Sookie! :)

lg2006 said...

Erik LOVES that show!

grizaham said...

Erik the vampire is the man.......

Jennifer Justus said...

Just fyi...I was at the Red Door East last night and met the guy who sings the song in the opening credits, Jace Everett. He lives here. Who knew?